Events that could have used the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center as the venue (if it existed) are noted with a (*)!
- (*) May 24, 2018 POPS Concert. The ConVal Music Department’s annual POPS concert featuring all of the high school music ensembles was held in the ConVal High School gymnasium.
- (*) April 19-22, 2018 Jane Eyre: The Musical was performed in the Lucy Hurlin Theatre.
- (*) March 23, 2018 – Black Fly Story Hour #6. The wildly successful Black Fly Story Hour series held another sold out evening of entertainment.
- (*) March 14, 2018 – Spring Instrumental Concert. ConVal’s four instrumental ensembles presented varied works for band, jazz band, strings and small combos in the ConVal Gymnasium.
- (*) March, 2018 – Illusions in Crimson Directed by ConVal Senior, Nick Batty. Entry to the New Hampshire Educational Theatre Guild Regional Festival.
- (*) December 19, 2017 – The ConVal Winter Concert, ConVal Music Department’s annual holiday concert featuring all of the high school music ensembles was held in the ConVal Gymnasium.
- (*) November 9-12, 2017 – The Spitfire Grill (a musical) was performed in the Lucy Hurlin Theatre at ConVal High School. Musical Direction by Krystal Morin, Stage Direction by Liz Halper, Technical Direction by Kathrine Heck.
- (*) October 27, 2017 – The fifth Black Fly Story Hour was held in the Lucy Hurlin theater at ConVal High School to another sold out crowd! Click here to view the stories
- (*) June 1, 2017 – “Lucy Hurlin Awards” were held in the Lucy Hurlin Theater (International Thespian Society Honors and Inductions).
- (*) May 25, 2017 – POPS Concert was held in the ConVal Gymnasium.
- (*) May 18, 2017 – “Amelia, Once More” was performed at the Lucy Hurlin Theater – Directed by Becket Gourlay (ConVal Senior).
- (*) April 13-15, 2017 “Godspell“ – was performed at the Lucy Hurlin Theater to very enthusiastic audiences. Directed by Liz Halper, Music Direction by Krystal Morin.
- (*) March 2017 – New Hampshire Educational Theatre Guild Regional Festival – Directed by Jason Lambert – a devised theatre project
- (*) Friday, March 24, 2017. The fourth Black Fly Story Hour was held at ConVal High School’s Lucy Hurlin Theater to another sold out crowd! Don’t miss the next Black Fly Story Hour to be held on Friday, October 27, 2017.
- (*) Wednesday, March 15th at 7:00 PM – Spring Instrumental Concert was held in the ConVal Gymnasium.
- (*) Tuesday, March 14th at 7:00 PM – Spring Choral Concert was held at the Hancock Congregational Church.
- (*) February 24, 2017 – A screening of the new documentary “The Making of Crazy For You – How a Musical is Produced at ConVal High School” was held at ConVal High School’s Lucy Hurlin Theater on February 24, 2017. The video is one hour in length and there was no charge for admission.The documentary, produced by John Halper, required more than 30 hours of video recording and 150 hours of editing. It was recorded during the six-week production of the fall 2015 ConVal musical “Crazy For You” and includes scenes from auditions, stage rehearsals, chorus rehearsals, choreography, band rehearsals, set building, sound and lighting preparation, costuming and more. In addition there are interviews with key production staff, cast and crew members, plus selected scenes from live performances of the musical.
- (*) January 6, 2017 The Advanced Theatre Student-Produced Showcase was held in the Lucy Hurlin Theater
- (*) October 21, 2016 Black Fly Story Hour #3 was a sold-out, smashing success. Click here to watch the wonderful stories told that evening.
- September 19, 2016 “Rebels With A Cause”. A documentary chronicling the ‘David and Goliath’ origin for America’s most visited, and arguably it’s most beautiful, urban national parks – San Francisco’s Point Reyes National Seashore and Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Narrated by Frances McDormand. Winner of the Active Cinema Audience Award, Mill Valley Film Festival. The showing was held at the Peterborough Community Theater to benefit the development of the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center. Click on the poster above to see the movie trailer.
- (*) July 28, 2016 – ConVal Drama partnered with the ‘Summer Academy’ for their 3rd annual summer production. This year they presented Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast Jr.“! Ranging from incoming 5th graders through just-graduated seniors, 50 district students came together to produce a 60-minute show with only 32 hours of rehearsal! With students involved in everything from choreography to lighting design, this tale as old as time delighted all and left everyone humming along!
- June 27, 2016 – “The Lost Bird Project”. A documentary highlighting the stories of five birds driven to extinction in modern times and to sculptor Todd McGrain’s project to memorialize them. The film follows the sculptor as he searches for the locations where the birds were last seen in the wild and negotiates for permission to install his large bronze sculptures there. The showing was held at the Peterborough Community Theater to benefit the development of the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center. Click on the poster above to see the movie trailer.
- (*) May 26, 2016 – The Spring POPS Concert was held in the ConVal High School Gym
- Tuesday, May 24th – “Fairport Convention – It All Comes ‘Round Again”. A rarely seen documentary chronicling the history of the band that invented British Folk Rock, from its origins to its 20th anniversary performance at the Cropredy Summer Music Festival in England. The showing was held at the Peterborough Community Theater to benefit the development of the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center.
- (*) On May 19th, 20th and 21st – a Student Directed Play “Picasso at the Lapin Agile” by Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin) and Directed by ConVal Senior Haley Spitzfaden was performed at the Lucy Hurlin Theater.
- (*) On Tuesday, May 3rd – “A Grand Night for Singing“…an evening of songs featuring ConVal student and staff vocalists performed in a cabaret-style event at the Lucy Hurlin Theater.
- (*) On Friday, April 29th the SMS Dance Team held their annual recital in the South Meadow School Gym.
- Tuesday, April 19th – “the People’s Forest” a documentary of one of the greatest environmental comeback stories in American history. The showing was held at the Peterborough Community Theater to benefit the development of the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center. Click on the poster above, then click on ‘Watch Trailer’ to view a beautiful introduction to “the People’s Forest“.
Photos: Gary Ciocci
- (*) ConVal Drama presented Agatha Christie’s “The Mouse Trap” on April 7, 8, 9 and 10, 2016 at the Lucy Hurlin Theater – Directed by Liz Halper
Photos: Gary Ciocci
- (*) The NHETG Festival Show, “Free Will” by Billy Aronson and Directed by Keith Stevens was held March 18, 2016 at ConVal High School’s Lucy Hurlin theater
- (*) Choirs’ Spring Concert – Held March 16, 2016 at the Hancock Congregational Church
- (*) Spring Band Concert – Held March 15, 2016 in the ConVal High School Gym
- (*) Back by popular demand with all new story tellers and stories, the second Black Fly Story Hour was held on January 8th to an overflowing, sellout crowd! Unfortunately, some people had to be turned away…a situation that won’t occur when the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center becomes a reality. The storytellers:
(photos courtesy of Gary Ciocci)
Rob Eichler, ConValVpac President: Introduction
Tricia Rose Burt: M/C and storyteller extraordinaireClick on the story title for a video of the story telling!Jamie Trowbridge: “Learning to Sail”
Liz Halper: “Women’s Intuition, Guardian Angels, or Bashert”
Tim Clark: “Gigi’s Hand”
Pastor Shayna Appel: “Soiland”
Jessica Fiasconaro: “The Help”
Ted Leach: “America’s First Marionette Opera: Will the Strings Sing?”
Emma Canty-Carrel: “The House on Wallace Road”
Megan Jones: “A Lesson from My Life in a Year”
Jason Lambert: “Some Things I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten”
Grace Aldrich: “Baby on Board“The popularity of the Black Fly Story Hour is a story in itself…watch for future performances!
- (*) ConVal High School Winter Concerts held December 14th and 15th 2015 in the ConVal Gym.
- November 2015 – Two Rivers Choir Supported Local Theatres with two concerts in Jaffrey and Peterborough.
- Sunday, Nov 22, 2015 at the United Church of Jaffrey, 54 Main St. Jaffrey, NH 03452. Donations from Jaffrey concert benefitted The Park Theatre.
- Sunday, Nov 29, 2015 at the UU Church Parish Hall 25 Main St, Peterborough, NH 03458. Donations from the Peterborough concert benefitted the project to Fill The Void.
- (*) On October 17, 2015 the Como Brothers Band performed in concert at ConVal High School. Check out their YouTube video at Como Brothers Band
- (*) On September 11, 2015 a “Bach thru the Blues”…“Fill The Void” Concert was held at the Union Congregational Church Fellowship Hall in Peterborough. The concert featured guitarist Jose Lezcano, professor of music at Keene State College, Otis and the Elevators, Two Rivers Woodwind Quartet, Off the Cuff, Folk Group, Alto Saxophonist Mike Wakefield and Folksoul Duo, Fred Simmons & Leslie Vogel.
- (*) September 20, 2014 – “Fill The Void” Kickoff Event in “The Void” at ConVal High School – Attended by over 350 supporters of the performing arts…THANK YOU!
The Void is located behind the Conval HS main entrance, in the empty space between the gymnasium and the west wing of classrooms. This space is graded as if it were an amphitheater, and is the anticipated site for the Contoocook Valley Visual and Performing Arts Center.
The show was comprised of local bands, dance academies, school chorus and bands, alumni singers, community members and more.
Anne Wisan – Class of 2006 • ConVal High School Band • ConVal High School, Great Brook, and South Meadow Chorus • Katelyn Manfre – Class of 2006 • Katie (Rolph) Pisselli – Class of 2003 • Paolo Piselli • Madeline and Gary Ciocci • Michael Pennington • Monadnock Academy of Movement Arts • My Heart Leaps Up – Delaney Hirsch – Kimberley Salvatore – Rachel Moore • New Philospohy – Sally and Schroeder • Off the Cuff – Harry Lowenthal – Pamela Smith – Jonas Taub – Dan Wheeler • Pine Grove with Carter Hammond • Portmanteaux – Maclane Stevens – Chriss Heffernan – Olivia Adams – Adam Zett • The Folk Soul Duo – Leslie Vogel and Fred Simmons • The HoneyBears – Greg Fisher – James Gosling – Ethan Holbrook – Aaron Taub • Tory Eichler • Two Rivers Woodwind Quartet – Holly Sanders – David Flemming – Dick Sanders – Joy Flemming